So Shannon TWatts was mouthing off about school shootings again, after the LA middle school shooting. She claimed:
This is the 14th American school shooting in 2018
Someone replied, asking for a list of those shootings, And TWatts told her to Google “Everytown school shootings”. She couldn’t be bothered to provide a link.
So I searched it and found that “Everytown” list. It lists “school shootings” but doesn’t provide links. Per Everytown,
Consistent with expert advice and common sense, Everytown uses a straightforward, fair, and comprehensive definition for a school shooting: any time a firearm discharges a live round inside a school building or on a school campus or grounds, as documented by the press and, when necessary, confirmed through further inquiries with law enforcement or school officials.
I checked on the shootings they list.
- 1/3/2018 St. Johns, MI East Olive Elementary School
Suicide in parking lot, otherwise unrelated to school; no students or faculty involved.
- 1/4/2018 Seattle, WA New Start High School
One round from unknown location struck building, no injuries.
- 1/10/2018 Sierra Vista, AZ Coronado Elementary School
Unidentified student committed suicide in restroom. No other injuries.
- 1/10/2018 San Bernardino, CA California State University, San Bernardino
One round struck building from off campus. No injuries.
- 1/10/2018 Denison, TX Grayson College
Accidental discharge by police officer. No injuries.
- 1/15/2018 Marshall, TX Wiley College
Car entered campus at 12:15AM, shots fired, shooter(s) fled. No injuries.
- 1/20/2018 Winston-Salem, NC Wake Forest University
Student killed at “an event venue on the school’s campus” at 1:00AM.
- 1/22/2018 Gentilly, LA The NET Charter High School
Drive-by shooting from off campus. No one shot.
- 1/22/2018 Italy, TX Italy High School
16yo boy shot 15yo girl.
- 1/23/2018 Benton, KY Marshall County High School
15yo boy shot 15 people, 2 dead.
- 1/25/2018 Mobile, AL Murphy High School
16yo fired rounds into air. No injuries.
- 1/26/2018 Dearborn, MI Dearborn High School
Shots fired in parking lot after 8:00PM. No injuries.
- 1/31/2018 Philadelphia, PA Lincoln High School
Man shot, killed near school.
- 2/1/2018 Los Angeles, CA Sal Castro Middle School
12yo “accidentally” shot two students with one round. No fatalities.
Two suicides (one only coincidentally on school grounds), one negligent discharge by a cop, two shots from off campus that hit buildings with no injuries, two drive-bys from off campus with no injuries, one drive-by off campus with no injuries, one shot at 1AM at an “event venue” on an extended college campus, four under-age students shooting students, and one guy killed “near” a school.
So 29% of Everytown’s “school shootings” don’t even meet their own definition of “school shooting.” Some clearly had nothing to do with “school” other than happening on campus well after hours, typically by non-students entering the grounds. One was a freaking cop authorized to have that gun. They had to include a shooting that didn’t involve students, faculty, or school grounds; “near.” Of the shootings that met Everytown’s own definition, most shooters were breaking existing laws in even possessing firearms. Virtually all broke existing laws in bringing the gun on campus.
Real school shootings are a bad thing. They should be addressed, fixed, ended. But inflating the numbers with other incidents is panic-mongering, and shrouds and distorts the facts of real school shootings.
Added, 2/7/2018: They have a couple more! Let’s see what there is to see…
- 2/5/2018 Maplewood, MN Harmony Learning Center
Cop didn’t notice a gun was playing with his holstered sidearm.
- 2/5/2018 Oxon Hill, MD Oxon Hill High School
After hours, near the school; shooters under-age for pistol.
Maybe schools should be cop-free zones. That’s twice in a month.